Tuesday, March 8, 2011

POLICE!!!

Hey Everyone!  Sorry for not sharing the events of our trip with you in quite a while.  Honestly, we haven't really been doing much in the way of adventuring out into Thailand.  We do have a trip scheduled to go to Udon Thani for Son Kran (Thai New Year).  I should definitely have some pictures and stories for you all by then.

Anyway, the story I would like to share with you today is lesson for all who plan to travel anywhere in the world, but especially in Southeast Asia.

This story, like most, begins with our young (and quite handsome) adventurer starting his day like any other.  I woke up to a shining sun, got ready for the day and off I went.  I jumped on the Baht Bus heading toward the office for what I thought would be a typical day.

A quick side story if you allow me.  The Baht Bus got stopped on the way to the office due to traffic.  As you can probably imagine the roads are very, VERY dusty and the slightest breeze will stir it up into a thick cloud of awfulness.  No, that did not happen.  But, the Thai's do take preventative measure to keep that from happening.  Their way of keeping the dust from kicking up is to drive a tanker truck up and down the road spraying water on the road.  Well, they got a little more than the road that morning.  Yes!  I got drenched on the ride to work.  Fortunately for me the sun was out and I dried before I met with my first client.  But, if that was any indication to how the day was going to progress I should have just turned around and gone home.

Anyway, back to the exciting point of this story.  I met with my first client around 1 o'clock that afternoon.  We went out and looked at a few things and then came back to the office.  He wasn't really interested in what I was offering to him and quite frankly I didn't want to waste my time with him.  No sooner had I sent him away and turned around to have a quick chat with some of the drivers (they are teaching me Thai), the Immigration Police and the Tourist Police came marching down the hall. 


Now, let me just put it out there that if you are working in Thailand and not of Thai nationality you must, without exception, have a work permit.  If you do not have one you will be fined, arrested, and/or deported.

Now having said that, I DO have a work permit.  The fact that it was not in my possession did pose a small problem.  At this point I don't really know what is happening.  All I know is that the drivers are pushing me out the door onto a deck with no other exit.  Fifteen minutes later my manager comes outside and without telling me what is happening says "Get the hell outta here!!"  And that was that.  I took off down the hallway down the elevator and up the street.

This is the part of the story where I sort of make things up as I go along as I'm trying to get away from the office.  I was walking down the street not really sure where I should go, so I went to the bar some of my co-workers and I end up after work.  I don't have my manager's number so I texted one of the guys and asked for his number.  He called me back immediately.  I told him what happened and where I was and his response was "GET OUT NOW!!!"

I met up with him and we walked around Jomtien for an hour or so and then headed back toward the office.  We were on our way to another bar (no alcohol has been consumed for those of you wondering) when we get a call from our manager saying they have left and we can come back to the office. 

After arriving back at the office I was told it was lucky that I was not in the office at the time of the police visit.  Some of the Russians that work in the office were taken away and they had work permits.  Don't worry they came back a couple of hours later and few thousand baht less in their pockets, but no worse for the wear.  I can only imagine what I would have had to go through had they arrested me.  Oh well, it's in the past and I now have my work permit.

I guess the moral of the story is if you get soaked by a water truck on a baht bus ride to work first thing in the morning, just go home.

I'm sorry for not writing in such a long time, but I have been busy.  Hopefully it won't be as long for the next post and I hope to have pictures next time as well.  Hope you all are doing well back home and around the world.  I will try to post again soon.

Cheers,
   Cush

No comments:

Post a Comment