Sunday, February 13, 2011

Cricket Anyone?

Well, another Sunday has come and gone.  Although, when you read this you will probably be starting your Sunday (depending where you are).  This Sunday has been, probably, the most out of the ordinary I have experienced.

It started with a lovely wake-up call an hour earlier than I was expecting.  Not complaining because it forced me to wake up and get my day started.  After a glorious cup of coffee and a bowl of cereal at our go-to spot on the weekends, we were picked up by one of the teachers at the school where Rachel works.  Nick, the teacher who picked us up, drove us out to St. Andrews International School (and on Rachel's day off too).
The main office...and Rachel's ride.
 It was my first time to the school and I have to admit, it was a wonderful campus. 

But, I digress. 

Once we arrived at the school we walked down to the field where we would be playing CRICKET!!!  That is correct.  Yours truly played cricket.  Granted, I'm absolutely no good, but it was fun and my teammates were quite encouraging.
Shin pads, wicket keeper gloves, and San Migeul...game complete.
I still have no clue as to what I am doing regarding cricket, but apparently I wasn't too bad.  I never thought I would play the sport of cricket, let alone play for the first time in Thailand. 

Many of the men on my team made fun of me when I first went out to bat (yes they call it "at bat").  I stood to the side, and held the bat like you would in baseball.  Apparently, you stand where "home plate" would be and hold the bat like you would take a golf swing.  It's all sorts of backwards. Oh, and you don't "pitch" the ball you "bowl" the ball.  I could go on and on about the rules I learned today, but that would take too long and I would most likely get them wrong.

The third game we played the man who was the "wicket keeper" had to leave.  Our team captain asked if anyone wanted to be the wicket keeper so I thought to myself "why not" and volunteered.
The guy behind me is making sure I don't screw up and miss the ball.
Overall, it was a nice, un-relaxing Sunday (for some of us).  We started about 11:30 in the morning and went roughly 'till 5:30.  After a full day of cricket all I really wanted was my massage and a cold beer.  I got my cold beer. 

I know it's been a while since my last post of our adventures here in Thailand, but I felt that this day was truly worth sharing.  I hope you enjoyed reading about our day and possibly had a laugh or two.  Have a wonderful Sunday.  I'll post again "soon".

Cheers!!

1 comment:

  1. You look like such a pro! I wish Cory and I could hop on a plane and come visit! You are livin' the dream :) I'm so proud of (and happy for) you!!

    ReplyDelete